Monday 20 July 2015

Natural dyeing ( or tinting!)

A few weeks ago, when we finally had a warm sunny day, I decided to  some of my annual natural dyeing. I should probably say tinting,  as I'm not really looking for a strong colour. Due to lack of space and difficulty drying things,  I  keep it really simple, and  everything is food grade!  I have plenty of options for yellow and brown shades and want to increase my palette.

These cottons are dyed with blackberries from my freezer. The bottom one has a mordant of white vinegar.  I love this colour! The middle one has no mordant and is more crushed strawberry. The top one is blackberry and turmeric which is a pretty gold/pale lilac. The colour's more obvious than the photo in real life.
I wanted to find a  natural green, and I'd heard good reports of rosemary - of which I have lots!   So  after much snipping,extracting leaves, and a salt mordant, here is a piece of old linen found in a charity shop, cotton and silk. These are a  lovely pale yellow green.

  A very subtle rainbow, but the gentle  effect I was after - hooray!


I want to find a blue I like now and I've seen a lovely effect using black beans with a soy milk mordant? Anyone tried that, or have any tips or combinations which have worked well?

10 comments:

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Your gentle colours are delightful Jules. I've done black beans but without mordanting. You can see the results here: http://janiceheppenstall.com/blog/2014/11/26/black-and-blue/

I'd like to do more kitchen dyeing when I have a bit more time and would love to compare notes! I'll email you links to my other posts about kitchen dyeing when I have time and it would be great if you could let me have links to any other posts you've done on it.

Rachel said...

A successful series of experiments, I think, because these do look very good!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous subtle colours! I've had a lot of success with avocado skins and stones, chopped roughly, which without any mordant give the most amazing coppery pinks.
https://underatopazsky.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/some-more-of-the-avocado-long-cloth/
https://underatopazsky.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/avocado-crazy-long-cloth/

Deb said...

Gorgeous soft colours Jules and sorry but no advice here, I have to go and look up what a mordant is!

margaret said...

thought this might interest you, a link to a blog that is very keen on natural dyes, http://beautifulmetaphor.blogspot.co.uk/ Did an earlier comment but it has not appeared hope it emeans you post them after reading them otherwise not sure where it is

Gill said...

Your soft colours are lovely! I'd love to have a go - how much mordant do you use and how do you decide which one to use??? (sorry - too many questions!)

Tammie Lee said...

these are all such lovely colors and they are sweet together.
I use to help my mom dye fabrics or yard, but I have never done it on my own. We used onion skins I can not remember what else.

Starr White said...

Beautiful results and I think it's so lovely how they all go together so well - just like flowers in the garden. Funny how using natural dyes always seems to produce beautiful, harmonious colors. ps. can't wait to see what you do with these!

Shashi Nayagam said...

I am so intrigued it looks so beautiful. Have you tried with flowers as well Jules.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I love how we like the same soft colors. These are scrumptious!